Working with Output Specifications
An Output Specification lets you specify output-specific information such as image color space and resolution, graphic file format, ink coverage, halftone frequency, PostScript level, PDF/X compliance, and so forth. Like Rules, Output Specifications are tests that are executed against the active layout when a layout artist chooses File > Job Jackets > Evaluate Layout.
The standard procedure for working with Output Specifications is:
- Create an Output Specification (see “Creating an Output Specification: Advanced mode“). This part of the job is typically done by a job definer working with an output specialist.
- Associate the Output Specification with a layout using a layout definition in a Job Ticket template. This can be done by the job definer or by the layout artist, but should typically be done by the job definer.
- Use the Output Specification at output (File > Output Job) to ensure that the job is imaged correctly. For more information, see “Using Output Specifications with Output Job.”
- Creating an Output Specification: Advanced mode
- Applying an Output Specification to a layout
- Using Output Specifications with Output Job