Working with Rules and Rule Sets
A Rule is a test that is executed against the active layout when you choose File > Job Jackets > Evaluate Layout.
Each Rule can test one condition. For example, a Rule might state that all text characters should be set to overprint. Rules also can include descriptions, policies (to indicate to the layout artist whether a given condition is mandatory, recommended, or forbidden), and instructions for fixing problem situations.
The standard procedure for working with Rules and Rule Sets is:
- Create Rules (see “Creating Rules: Advanced mode“) and add them to a Rule Set (see “Adding Rules to a Rule Set: Advanced mode“). This is typically done by a job definer, possibly working with an output specialist.
- Associate the Rule Set with a layout using a Job Ticket template (see “Applying a Rule Set to a layout“). This is typically done by the job definer.
- Use the Rule Set to evaluate the layout (see “Evaluating a layout“). This is typically done by a layout artist.
- Creating Rules: Advanced mode
- Adding Rules to a Rule Set: Advanced mode
- Applying a Rule Set to a layout