You can choose from six kinds of tab stops:
- Left aligns text flush left on the tab stop.
- Center aligns text centrally on that tab stop.
- Right aligns text flush right on the tab stop.
- Decimal aligns text on a decimal point (period).
- Comma aligns text on a first comma.
- Align On aligns text on any character you specify. When you select this tab, the Align On field displays. Select the existing entry, and enter the character to align on.
Note: If you do not set custom tabs, the application sets default left-aligned tabs every half-inch.
To apply tabs to selected paragraphs, do one of the following things:
- Use the controls in the Tabs tab of the Paragraph Attributes dialog box (Style > Tabs).
- Use the controls in the Tabs tab of the Measurements palette. Using the Measurements palette conserves screen space, and you continuously see the effects updated as you change tab settings. You can drag tab icons to the ruler or drag tab icons directly into text. When you are dragging tabs to the ruler or to text, a vertical line displays on screen to help you decide where to position the tab.