Importing and exporting text
To import text, do one of the following:
- Select the Text Content tool , place the text insertion point where you want text to be inserted, and then choose File > Import. Check Convert Quotes option to convert double hyphens to em dashes and convert foot or inch marks to typesetter’s apostrophes and quotation marks. Check Include Style Sheets to import style sheets from a Microsoft Word or WordPerfect file or convert “XPress Tags” to formatted text.
- Drag a text file from the file system onto a text box.
- Drag text from another application onto a text box.
- Press Command/Ctrl and drag a text file from the file system onto a picture box or a no-content box.
- Press Command/Ctrl and drag text from another application onto a picture box or a no-content box.
If you drag content onto a box that already contains text or a picture, QuarkXPress creates a new box for the dragged content. To replace the contents of the box instead, press Command/Ctrl while dragging the content to the box. To always create a new box for dragged-in content, press Option/Alt while dragging.
If all the imported text does not fit in the text box, the overflow symbol displays. If Auto Page Insertion (QuarkXPress/Edit > Preferences > Preferences > General pane) is enabled, pages are inserted (when you import text into an automatic text box) as necessary to contain the text.
To export text, first either place the text insertion point in a text box (if you want to save all of the text in that box) or select the text you want to export. Then choose File > Save Text, choose an option from the Format pop-up menu, enter a name, choose a location, and then click Save.